MEDIHONEY® Calcium Alginate Dressing
MEDIHONEY® Calcium Alginate Dressing contains 100% active Leptospermum honey impregnated onto a calcium alginate pad. Supports removal of necrotic tissue and aids in wound healing. For wounds with moderate to heavy amounts of exudate or when light packing is needed. Non-traumatic removal.
• As wound fluid enters the dressing, the honey is released while the dressing forms a gel
• Maintains effectiveness even in the presence of wound fluid, blood and tissue
• Easy to use with potential for extended wear times depending on exudate
• Promotes a moisture-balanced environment conducive to wound healing
• Can be used before, during, and after negative pressure applications
• Can be used as a cover dressing for skin grafts or substitutes
• Helps stalled wounds progress toward healing
• High osmolarity promotes autolytic debridement
• Helps lower overall wound pH
• Non-toxic, natural, and safe
MEDIHONEY® Calcium Alginate Dressing is indicated for moderately to heavily exuding wounds such as: diabetic foot ulcers, leg ulcers (venous insufficiency ulcers, arterial ulcers and leg ulcers of mixed etiology), pressure ulcers (partial- and full-thickness), first- and second-degree partial-thickness burns, donor sites, and traumatic or surgical wounds.
Contraindicated for use on individuals with an allergy to honey or on third-degree burns.
Some patients may notice slight transient stinging. If sting does not stop or cannot be managed with analgesic, remove dressing and cleanse area. An increase in exudate may occur due to the high osmolarity. Manage with an absorptive cover dressing.
|Alginate dressing format|
|Compatible w/ topicals||●|
|Foam dressing format|
|Gauze or non-woven dressing format|
|Intact when saturated||●|
|Moisture vapor permeable||●|
|Secondary dressing required||●|
|Usable on infected wounds||●|
|Variety of sizes||●|
|Educational Material Available||●|
|Free Samples/Trials Available||●|
|Published Clinical Article Available||●|
Moderate/Highly Exudating Wounds
Derma Sciences, Inc. is a Tissue Regeneration Company leading in research and innovation for the management of acute wounds, chronic wounds, and burns, delivering evidence-based products to improve clinical outcomes.