By Laurie Swezey RN, BSN, CWOCN, CWS, FACCWS
There are many benefits to taking an online course to prepare yourself to write a wound care certification exam. The following outlines some of these benefits:
- All of your prep materials in one place: Rather than buying a bunch of textbooks that may or may not have the information you need to study for your wound care certification exam, you can access everything you need to study for your exam online.
- Cost savings: Because you are only required to order one product, you can realize enormous cost savings by purchasing one comprehensive online wound care course. Some wound education providers offers online wound care courses for healthcare professionals of all levels, from LPNs to physicians and everyone in between.
- No need to travel: Studying online means that there is no need to travel to attend a wound care course to prepare you to write the certification exam. This saves you money on gas and also saves you precious travel time.
- Study when and where you want: Taking a wound care education course designed to prepare you for wound care certification online means that you can study wherever and whenever you want — all you need is computer access! This fact is extremely attractive to busy health care professionals who must squeeze studying and exam preparation into already full home and working lives.
- Courses are designed to make you successful on the first attempt: Online wound care education courses are designed to prepare you for the wound care certification exam. Education providers understand what you need to know for the exam, and present the necessary information in interesting and engaging formats, often making the learning process fun while presenting the knowledge that you need to pass your exam on the first try.
The Research Supporting Online Learning
Studies have shown that online education can be extremely effective, and may even be superior to traditional classroom learning. A report on online education, conducted by SRI International for the Department of Education found that: "The study's major significance lies in demonstrating that online learning today is not just better than nothing — it actually tends to be better than conventional instruction".1
1) Study Finds That Online Education Beats the Classroom. October 2010. http://woundeducators.com/study-finds-that-online-education-beats-the-cl...
About The Author
Laurie Swezey RN, BSN, CWOCN, CWS, FACCWS, is a Certified Wound Therapist and enterostomal therapist, founder and president of WoundEducators.com, and advocate of incorporating digital and computer technology into the field of wound care.
The views and opinions expressed in this blog are solely those of the author, and do not represent the views of WoundSource, Kestrel Health Information, Inc., its affiliates, or subsidiary companies.