Dextrosan® consists of equal amounts of dextranomer and chitosan particles for the cleaning and removal of exudate from the wound bed.
• Antimicrobial properties
• Reduces inflammation, edema and pain
• Aids in wound healing
Dextrosan® is indicated for the cleaning and removal of exudate from wet wounds, ulcers and burns which are exuding either clean or infected plasma and enhancing healing of the wound by the antibacterial activity of chitosan.
Dextrosan® should not be applied on dry wounds, on areas where the granules can not be removed entirely after application (i.e., wounds located in the abdominal and thoracic cavity or any wounds of profound cavity), or if hypersensitivity to dextranomer or chitosan exists.
Dextrosan® is for external use only.
Do not ingest.
Keep out of reach of children.
Do not leave on wounds with little exudate over 24 hours as a dry crust may form and it may be difficult to remove.
Do not wrap supporting dressing too tightly as Dextrosan® contains dextranomer beads which swell to absorb exudates and might increase the local pressure around the dressing and increase pain.
Avoid occlusive dressings as skin maceration can occur around the wound, particularly in the case of deep bedsores.
During the first days of treatment the wounds can be retracted and they appear larger, due to the reduction of edema.
Avoid contact with eyes.
Do not spill on the floor as the floor surface might become very slippery.
If using during pregnancy or breast feeding, use under the care of a physician or professional health care worker.
If applied improperly Dextrosan® can cause local hypersensitivity, disorders or maceration of cutaneous or subcutaneous tissue, unknown erythema, or blisters.
Store in a dry place at room temperature, no more than 30°C (86°F).
|Absorptive dressing format|
|Alginate dressing format|
|Antimicrobial effects up to 48 hours|
|Antimicrobial effects up to 3 days|
|Antimicrobial effects up to 7 days|
|Collagen dressing format|
|Composite dressing format|
|Contact layer dressing format|
|Foam dressing format|
|Gauze or non-woven dressing format|
|Gelling fiber dressing format|
|Hydrogel (amorphous) dressing format|
|Hydrogel (impregnated) dressing format|
|Hydrogel (sheet) dressing format|
|Impermeable to outside contaminants|
|Impregnated dressing format|
|Moisture vapor permeable|
|Secondary dressing required||●|
|Super absorbent polymers|
|Sustained release formula|
|Transparent film dressing format|
|Wound filler dressing format||●|
|Educational Material Available||●|
|Free Samples/Trials Available||●|
|Published Clinical Article Available|
Moderate/Highly Exudating Wounds
Topical only. Dextrosan® is applied directly to the affected area in a layer of at least 3mm thickness (1/8" thickness). The frequency of changing the application of Dextrosan® depends on the degree of oozing of the wound. It is recommended to be replaced twice daily and one application kept on no longer than 24 hours. A fresh bandage should be applied at each use. May be used for up to seven days.
Preparation of the wounded area:
1. Wash the wound through irrigation or with a swab doused with sterile or saline water. Leave the wound moist as this facilitates the action of Dextrosan®.
Application of Dextrosan®:
2. Pour Dextrosan® directly on the wound or ulcer to form a layer having a minimum thickness of 3mm to 4mm.
3. If the wound does not have edges and Dextrosan® may spill when applied, it is recommended to apply petroleum jelly around the wound to form a crater.
4. Apply a sterile gauze / compress on the wound and close all sides with adhesive tape to prevent the granules of Dextrosan® from slipping off. The pad should not be strained or stretched, but on the contrary, loose to allow expansion of the granules.
5. Compression bandaging or other bandages may be applied as indicated. However, avoid very tight bandage over the wound.
6. It is recommended to be replaced twice daily and one application kept on no longer than 24 hours.
To remove Dextrosan® wash the wound with sterile or saline water, using a sterile syringe of 20ml or 50ml. If Dextrosan® granules are adhering, they should be removed by using a swab or sterile gauze soaked in sterile or saline water.
MPP Group LLC is a global company dedicated to augmenting quality of life. They manufacture advanced wound care dressings and nutraceuticals, with an additional focus on the development and formulation of injectable drugs.